Oral Cancer Screenings
Dentist in Frankfort, IL
Over fifty thousand people are diagnosed with oral cancer every year. Treatments have high rates of success and are less invasive when the cancer is caught in the initial stages. If they get a chance to progress, oral cancers can need much more complex treatment.
Regular screenings can help ensure detection of any potential cancers. Dr. Lori Woodburn recommends having an oral cancer screening at least once a year. During your screening, they will examine your mouth, throat, lips, gums and tongue to check for any abnormalities. Let us know about any unusual symptoms you have experienced, including:
- Pain or difficulty with speaking, swallowing, or moving your jaw or tongue
- A sensation that something is caught in the back of your throat
- Sore throat with no other sinus symptoms
- Lumps or swellings in or around your mouth
- Drastic weight loss
- White or red patches in your mouth
- Mouth sores that do not heal
- Unexplained ear pain
- Unexplained bleeding in your mouth
Any of these symptoms can be a potential sign of oral cancer. If they last for a week without improvement, contact us immediately for an appointment and an oral cancer screening.
Oral cancer can develop in anyone, but there are factors that increase the risk. Some common ones include:
- Being male
- Use of tobacco in any form
- Genetic predisposition
- Excessive or prolonged sun exposure
- An unhealthy diet
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Having gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
For more information on oral cancer screenings or to schedule an appointment, contact the team at LW Dental today.